Friday, December 24, 2010

The 12 Days of Christmas

In light of the holiday season, I've been searching for a festive editorial to share with the blogosphere. Recently I came up with this one called "The Twelve Days of Christmas," photographed by Steven Meisel in 1998 for US Vogue.

We've all heard several renditions of the classic holiday song, but have you ever seen a visual artistic interpretation of it?

Well, back in 1998, US Vogue did an entire fashion spread based on the song, featuring supermodel Shalom Harlow. (She's actually still working today...omg)!

Anway, here's the editorial:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Granted, I was seven when this editorial was published, so maybe it's just too outdated for me to really understand, but personally I found parts of this editorial to be a little odd.

For instance, the "Three French Hens" photo has three french maids. Come on now, just because they are french hens, doesn't mean "interpreting" them to be french maids will cut it. Changing three french hens to three french maids is the same thing as changing it to three french fries, basically.

Also, when I think of eight maids a-milking, I don't not think of babies...(I'm guessing they're referencing breast feeding? Honestly, I feel awkward just saying that.) Generally, I think of maids milking cows....

Well, what are your thoughts with this editorial? My favorite photo is for "nine ladies dancing." Look at them raise the roof! Par-tay!

Merry Christmas to all!

Meggasus Peggasus

5 comments:

ching said...

woooow. the visual interpretation is outstanding!
merry christmas. *hugs!

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos and Merry Christmas.

Anna Grostina said...

Very Instresting and creative ideas they have! Have a nice day and a merry christmas! XOXO

Samantha Nandez said...

Brilliant!!

Thanks for sharing :D

Pomeline said...

When will you be posting again? I miss this blog!